David Cassidy Pleads “No Contest” In DUI Case
On Monday, former teen heartthrob David Cassidy plead no contest to a drunk driving incident that occurred during January. The star was originally pulled over by a California Highway Patrol officer for taking an illegal turn at a stoplight near the Los Angeles International Airport; however, the officer then decided to check Cassidy’s blood alcohol level.
The former star of the 1970’s hit television show The Partridge Family was sentenced to serve three months in an alcohol rehabilitation facility. In addition to the rehab stint, Cassidy was also ordered to pay fines, participate in an alcohol education program, and serve five years of probation.
The 63-year-old actor and musician has had a challenging year. Last month it was announced that the star’s wife, Sue Cassidy, had filed for divorce. Ongoing legal proceedings have also taken a toil on Cassidy. According to Jo-Ann Geffen, who is David Cassidy’s manager, the musician was on the path to recovery before the recent onslaught of stressful events.
“David just completed a stint in rehab and was doing very well in sobriety. He was in Los Angeles to attend depositions by Sony Pictures Television, respondents in a lawsuit filed by Cassidy in 2011 over what he claims are monies long due him from Partridge Family merchandise, home video, etc. After attending his and his manager’s depositions, it appears as if the pressure led to a brief relapse,” Geffen said.
David Cassidy recently spoke about his battle with alcoholism. “This has been a very difficult time for me battling this deadly disease, like millions of others in our country. I will remain in treatment for as long as necessary and I am getting the best care I can possibly get anywhere. I am working as hard as any human being to live a sober life. I am truly grateful to all of my friends and fans who have sent me thousands of letters and messages in support,” he said.
Image Via Wikimedia Commons