Cynthia Bailey Accused of Photo Contest Fraud, Defends AgencyBy: Jasmine Allen - March 24, 2014
Yet another Real Housewives of Atlanta star is coming under accusation for fraud.
When we thought Phaedra Parks and her cunning husband, Apollo Nida, were the biggest schemers on the show, former model Cynthia Bailey is now in the hot seat.
According to an interview with CBS Atlanta, local resident Dorothy Lewis claims that the Bailey Agency School of Fashion modeling contest for minors is a rip-off.
The grandmother said she decided to enter her 7-year-old granddaughter’s photo into the ‘big kid’ category on TheBaileyagencyschooloffashion.com for only $20.
Since her daughter and granddaughter, Paris Davis, are big fans of Bailey, she figured this would be a great opportunity for her. Plus, she believes that the “bubbly” and “talkative” Pairs is a superstar in the making, so, why not?
The only issue with this picture is that the agency did not update their contest winners since October of last year.
However, it appeared that the contest continued to build revenue from interested contenders.
Sources say that the agency stated in their contest guidelines that $450 cash prizes would be distributed each month to a winner. But after generating over $1,000 within the past few months, there were no winners awarded.
“It’s just not right to be advertising that you’re going to do one thing and take people’s money from around the country and you’re not following through on what you’re saying,” Lewis told CBS Atlanta.
In a video interview with the station, Bailey defended her program, claiming that the website had some minor setbacks.
“First of all I think that’s a very negative approach to the whole situation, that’s not like their $20 wasn’t being used for what it was intended for. It’s just a matter of us being in transition on our side and we were just behind on the website. But now it’s updated,” Bailey said.
Any funds made were apparently donated to nonprofit organization Atlanta Diaper Relief, which closed six months ago! But of course she knew nothing about it. Bailey says they now send proceeds to Kile’s World, a foundation in memory of Usher Raymond’s deceased stepson.
In a statement to CBS Atlanta, she reassured that her “inexpensive” contest “was created in the spirit of giving moms with young babies a platform to give their children exposure” and to extend her brand outside Atlanta.
Well, it definitely seems like it has gotten off to a rough start.
She later apologized in her statement:
“I apologize for any negligence on my part as far as my staff not keeping the website properly updated. I hope after receiving all the correct and updated information from me personally, you can appreciate the sincerity of my intentions. I appreciate you for bringing this important matter to my attention. I can assure The Bailey Babies mommies that this will not be an issue going forward. Thank you for providing the opportunity to address this matter.”
The agency has since modified the contest’s information, updating photo winners from November 2013 to February 2014.
Do you think Bailey’s lack of concern for her agency’s contest after nearly five months was intentional?
Shoot away in the comment box!
Image via YouTube