Mars One To Put Man Permanently On Mars In 2023
Mars One has a goal. That goal is to put 4 humans on a one way trip to Mars. Thats right, one way, as in no one is coming back home. The idea is from Holland, isn’t that weird? The company has letters of interest from companies like SpaceX who want to help put these living capsules on the surface of Mars.
But how will they pay for it? Mars One co-founder Bas Lansdorp has a very modern approach to funding the project: media exposure. “We will finance this mission by creating the biggest media event ever around it.” He said in a company video, adding, “Everybody in the world can see everything that will happen in the preparations and on Mars.”
Here is the Mars One proposed timeline:
– 2016 a communications satellite and a supply mission will be sent to mars.
– 2018 a large planetary rover will be sent to the surface of Mars with the intention of plotting out a good landing site.
– 2020 Living units, life support units, more supplies, and another rover will be delivered to the surface. The rovers will prepare the site for human arrival by extracting the inflatable section from the living unit. The life support unit will the prepare the outpost for the arrival of the humans.
– 2022 The crew will depart in September when the settlement is fully operational and habitable. They will fly to Mars in a transit habitat with a lander attached to it.
– 2023 The humans will arrive on Mars in April.
Here is the accompanying video for the journey: