“Bond Girl” Confusion: Is Penelope In, Or Out?

By: Amanda Crum - June 3, 2013

“Bond Girls” have become such an iconic part of the American movie landscape that when one is announced, it’s a huge deal; when she’s an established actress, it’s an even bigger deal.

Rumors have been flying across the web today that Penelope Cruz has signed on to play the next sexy female counterpart to Daniel Craig’s Bond, although no one seems to have any info as to who she’d be playing. However, a “source” has told E! News that it’s not true.

The latest Bond film is the subject of a whole lot of speculation and is much-anticipated, especially after word got around that director Sam Mendes was going to have to delay filming due to prior commitments (namely, a stage version of “Charlie and the Chocolate Factory”). After last year’s enormously successful entry into the long-running series–“Skyfall”–it would be wise to jump in while the irons are hot.

Rumor has it that Penelope–whose husband, Javier Bardem, starred in “Skyfall”–has been wanting to be a Bond Girl for a while now. If she makes the cut, she’ll be the oldest Girl to grace the films at 40 years old.

“The producers have tried to get Penélope before, but she has never been available because of other commitments. The discussions have been going on for some time and they are working out the contract details now,” a source said.

About the Author

Amanda CrumAmanda Crum is a writer and artist from Kentucky. She's a fan of Edward Gorey, Hunter S. Thompson, and horror movies. You can follow her on Google:+Amanda Crum

View all posts by Amanda Crum