Gangnam Style Hits 1 Billion Views, YouTube Celebrates
As we told you earlier, South Korean rapper PSY’s global megahit “Gangnam Style” hit one billion total views on YouTube, making it the first video to ever achieve that milestone. It hit 1 billion views shortly after 10 am ET, traveling at a rate of nearly 140 views per second.
In honor of the achievement, YouTube has released some interesting additional stats on Gangnam Style. Check them out below:
- PSY was already big in Korea, but in 2012, he became a global celeb as Gangnam Style quickly spread from Seoul and the pacific to North America, South America, and Europe. It’s been seen at least 1 million times in close to 75 countries, making it one of the most global music sensations ever!
- From a one-thousand person flash mob in Jakarta to cover videos from Ai Weiwei and Mitt Romney, hundreds of thousands of parodies have been uploaded to YouTube, some of which have tens of millions of views. In fact, fan tributes to Gangnam Style are now being viewed 20 million times every single day.
- PSY’s own remix with Hyuna has 200 million views alone.
- “Gangnam Style” was YouTube’s top rising search of 2012 and on October 6th, we saw more than five million searches for “gangnam style” in a single day. Check out this video demonstrating some of our most popular YouTube searches this year.
- For those interested in the business side: a number of assessments and projections have been posted claiming “Gangnam Style” has generated over $8.1 million in advertising deals, hit more than 2.9 million in song downloads since July, and achieved other incredible feats!
- Since late last month, people have clicked to buy the track on iTunes over 600,000 times helping make PSY the first Korean artist ever to rank #1 on the U.S. iTunes chart and #1 in over 30 more countries.
YouTube makes a point to let us know just how fast PSY reach the pinnacle of YouTube popularity. Gangnam Style amassed one billion views in just over five months. To put that in perspective, it has taken Justin Bieber’s “Baby” (#2 on the all-time most-viewed list) nearly three years to hit 800 million.
YouTube has also added a little dancing PSY next to the view count:
If you’ve somehow escaped watching the first-ever billion-view video, here it is: