Dell Acquires Wyse Technology and Cloud PatentsBy: Shawn Hess - April 2, 2012
Dell has announced today, they plan to acquire cloud computing solutions provider, Wyse Technologies. With Wyse comes comes almost 200 technology patents which will greatly expand Dell’s current enterprise solutions portfolio.
Here’s a sample of what Dell will inherit with the acquisition of Wyse:
* Cloud clients : Wyse offers a wide selection of secure, reliable, cost-effective thin and zero clients designed to easily integrate into any virtualized or web-based infrastructure, while meeting the budget and performance requirements for any application.
* Cloud software : Technology powering a new world of cloud connected smart devices.
Management software – Secure, easy and scalable remote device management for the extended enterprise.
* Virtualization software – The best user experience with Microsoft, Citrix and VMware virtual desktop infrastructures.
* Mobility software – Secure mobile connectivity to your personal, private or public cloud for mobile devices.
* Services: Wyse offers a wide range of cloud computing services to complement its cloud clients and software solutions. Services are available for specific or on-going engagements.
Jeff Clarke, president, End User Computing Solutions at Dell commented on the acquisition:
“Desktop virtualization can help organizations streamline IT management, improve productivity and security, and increase cost efficiency for discrete workloads or usage scenarios,”
“The Wyse Technology desktop virtualization capability complements Dell’s strongest-ever device and computing solutions portfolio, and strengthens our position in offering customers among the broadest set of computing choices from the edge to the core to the cloud.”
Tarkan Maner, president and CEO of Wyse Technology also offers his sentiments on the deal:
“The combination of Wyse and Dell provides us with tremendous growth opportunities for our core desktop virtualization business, helps us expand into new and fast-growing market segments including mobility and cloud computing, and provides us with reach and scale we did not previously have,”
“We believe that taking this step with Dell is a very natural progression for our business and offers our customers many great advantages not available to them today.”
An analyst call with Jeff Clarke, president, Dell End User Computing; Dave Johnson, senior vice president, Dell Corporate Strategy; and Tarkan Maner, president and CEO, Wyse Technology;a webcast was broadcast live today at 8:45 a.m. Central Time and archived at www.dell.com/investor.