6 Ways Small Businesses Can Survive In A Crazy Economy
Contrary to popular belief, small businesses can survive a crazy economy by taking some proactive steps.
1. Provide spectacular customer service — every time. Have a friend or colleague visit your business and provide feedback from a customer’s perspective. This person should be unknown by your staff and willing to provide a candid assessment.
2. Make sure your front and back office work like a well-oiled machine. Are the front line and the back office telling your customers the same thing?
3. Manage your customer relationships — return customers take the least amount of effort — use that to your advantage. Keep in touch often.
4. Review your strategic plan monthly (weekly is even better). Make sure you’re doing the things that will get you where you want to go.
5. Adjust your strategic plan as necessary. Your “smallness” makes you more flexible.
6. Communicate, communicate, communicate — with your employees and your customers. Nurture those relationships. Ask for feedback often.
Denise O’Berry is a small business consultant located in
Florida. For disaster planning tools and tips, visit