It shouldn’t come as any surprise, but the top TV ad of the year, according to Nielsen, happens to be the same ad as YouTube’s top ad of the year. That would, of course, be Volkswagen’s The Force, featuring the little kid dressed ad Darth Vader. In fact, that video even made YouTube’s top ten videos period.
1. VW - The Force
2. T-Mobile - Royal Wedding
3. Chrysler - Imported From Detroit
4. DC Shoes - Ken Block’s Gymkhana Four: The Hollywood Megamercial
5. SmartWater - Jennifer Aniston goes viral
6. Team Hot Wheels - The Yellow Driver’s World Record Jump
7. Old Spice - Scent Vacation
8. Apple - Introducing Siri on iPhone 4S
9. Samsung - Unleash Your Fingers
10. Adidas D Rose: adiZero Rose 2 -- The Bull
The lesson for advertisers appears to be: use Star Wars for inspiration in your campaigns. Of course, you’ll want to do that without getting sued.