Tom Brokaw has been given the news that his cancer is in remission and he couldn't wait to let his NBC colleagues know.
The 74-year-old former NBC Nightly News anchor sent a note to the employees of the network to inform them that his cancer had gone into remission.
"A year ago my future was more uncertain than I cared to acknowledge but now I face the New Year with very encouraging news," he wrote. "The cancer is in remission and I will shortly go on a drug maintenance regimen to keep it there."
Brokaw kept his note brief, but said that after returning from the 70th anniversary of the Battle of the Bulge last month, he was reminded that whatever challenges he faced didn't compare to those who served in the military during the incredibly lengthy and horrible battle.
"I was a Presidential delegate to the 70th anniversary of the Battle of the Bulge, the fight which went on for most of December 1944, in one of the worst winters in 20th century Europe," wrote Brokaw.
"Monty Meigs and I went into the forest surrounding Bastogne where remains of the original 101st Division fox holes still are visible. About 30 vets returned. The oldest was 96, and the youngest 89."
— KSAT 12 (@ksatnews) December 21, 2014
"I flew home reflecting again on how lucky we are that that generation gave us the lives we have today - how my last year was a challenge but I was meeting it in world class hospitals with brilliant physicians, not in a foxhole in the Ardennes," he concluded, and signed his note "T Bone."
— 41 Action News (@41ActionNews) December 21, 2014
Brokaw was diagnosed with multiple myeloma in August 2013, but didn't reveal it until February 2014.
"I am very optimistic about the future and look forward to continuing my life, my work and adventures still to come," he said in February.