The Steubenville rape case is growing by the day, and now a football coach and the school superintendent have been indicted on charges including obstructing justice and making false statements.
Superintendent Michael McVey was charged Monday with felony counts of tampering with evidence and obstructing justice. He is also charged with two misdemeanors, making a false statement and obstructing official business. Steubenville assistant football coach Matt Belardine was charged with four misdemeanors--allowing underage drinking, obstructing official business, making a false statement, and contributing to the unruliness or delinquency of a child. Also included in the indictments were a teacher and an elementary school principal, who failed to report the abuse of a child.
Ma'lik Richmond and Trenton Mays were convicted of the 2012 rape of a 16-year old girl in March after photos and videos of the assault were posted online and drew national attention. Earlier this year, 53-year old William Rhinaman, director of technology at Steubenville High School, was accused of helping to cover up the incident in order to help the boys named in the case. If convicted, he could serve up to four years in prison for tampering with evidence, obstruction of justice, obstructing official business and perjury. In October, when Rhinaman was indicted, Ohio Attorney General Mike DeWine said that it was just the first indictment in what may turn out to be a large case, and said he would reveal "new developments" on Monday morning during a press conference.
“Our goal remains to uncover the truth, and our investigation continues," DeWine said in October.