Sony has had a fairly big year. The coup of sorts by getting the week early exclusive for all Battlefield 3 DLC and another strong year of AAA exclusives drives the train. What is really hurting the company though is the complete lack of support so far for the Vita. If they can somehow get the Vita up and running, look out. Also if they announce the Gaikai rumor that we have been hearing for the last few weeks that could also change things. Here we go:
Jack Tretton is sucking up to Kaz Harai and this company really is relying on this one man to turn this company around.
- They are introducing a new IP from the developer of Heavy Rain, Quantum Dream. Their new project is titled "Beyond - Two Souls." Ellen Paige will play the main character named Jodi Holmes. They are showing the first part of the game and made sure to say that it is all running in real time. No KZ3 speculation for this team. It looks amazing, just like Heavy Rain. If you are into interactive movies, then this is the game for you.
- They are talking about the Michael commercial. If you haven't seen it, check it out here:
They are really prepping for Playstation All Stars: Battle Royale. Two new characters have been introduced! Big Daddy from the Bioshock games and Nathan Drake from the Uncharted franchise! All Stars will be on the Vita and will be cross compatible and a cross platform title. if you haven't seen this title, imagine Super Smash Bros. but with Playstation centric characters. It is very frantic but the levels seem to be way more interactive than the SSB franchise. The game will launch this holiday season.
- Littlebigplanet 2 will use the Vita to be a controller for the game! This is exactly what I hoped for. Imagine the Vita as a menu for your items in a RPG? They need to keep doing this!
- They are pumping up the PSN. boasting over 1,500 titles with Journey leading the way. The PSN will be having over 200 games in the next year.
- PS plus is being talked about. LittleBigPlanet 2, Infamous2, and Saints Row 2 will be free for download tomorrow in what is the major overhaul we were looking for. They are giving away a year free of PS Plus to the audience.
- The Vita will have 60 new titles available. Also you can play PS1 classics on your Vita now. So bring FF7 anywhere. Hulu Plus and Crakle are coming to Vita sometime soon. Call of Duty Black Ops: Declassified is the new FPS coming to the Vita!
- They are teasing a new Vita game from Ubisoft and it is an Assassins Creed game! Assassins Creed 3: Liberation. Your character looks like she is a pirate and takes place in 1700's New Orleans! It comes out on October 30th for the Vita. They are offering it in a bundle with the game, a 4 GB memory card and the all new crystal white Vita.
- Assassins Creed 3 is up next! Here comes some Ubisoft guys! They are showing some gameplay and it is a battle at sea! The game looks pretty good and pretty intense! It has a pretty cool aiming mechanism for lining up your ship for a broadside attack on an English vessel! Now on to the hand to hand combat part of the game but they cut it short. It will launch with a new PS3 bundle!
- Far Cry 3 is up next! I love this open world franchise. Far Cry 3 features 4 player co-op. What an awesome turn. They really did keep it a secret! It looks sweet but it really will require true teamwork! Far Cry 3 also includes a map editor! I'm super pumped for this! The PS3 will get some exclusive DLC for the game.
- Next up is .......Move....great. Wonderbook: Book of Spells is up next. You use a book for an augmented reality type game. It looks cool, but it also looks like what the eye pet was suppose to be. Also being shown is a game with Wonderbook is also getting a Wizarding game from JK Rowling. It is called the Book of Spells! It does take place in the world of Harry Potter which is cool. The game actually looks kinda neat. but it will be interesting to see how well the game actually works in the home. It is already having problems with it's recognition on a huge well lit stage. Harry Potter is huge so good job for Sony to get something like this.
- Playstation Suite is up next. The Suite is coming to HTC phones next! They are the first non-Sony platform. Also suite is being renamed "Playstation Mobile."
- God Of War: Ascension is next. As usual this game looks utterly amazing. It really is hard to tell if the God Of War franchise or the Uncharted franchise looks better. Kratos has some sort of gem that reverses time. Interesting to see how he gets that. The game is over the top which is one of the reasons why it rocks! They also finally show the new chest smashing technique so you no longer have to stop to open a chest. Big Elephant dude getting tore up now! Kratos has super moves now! The game comes out March 12th of 2013!
- The Last of Us is next. This is the new IP from Naughty Dog. this is the first gameplay that I have seen and it looks great! The combat looks dynamic and there are a lot of great different styles to play as. It is brutal and real and pretty dang awesome to be honest with you.
So, Sony neither wowed us or disappointed us. It would have been nice to get a teaser of the new Console, they would have stole the show actually. But with The Last of Us, Beyond - Two Souls, and God Of War: Ascension. Sony has their AAA franchises going strong. The biggest things for me were the reveal of 4 player co-op for Far Cry 3, and the inclusion of the Vita being used as the controller for LittleBigPlanet 2. That is the future of Playstation to me. I don't want to guarantee this, but I will bet money that nearly every game on the PS4 will be able to use the Vita as a controller. I give this a B minus. No Holy crap moment, no what the hell moment either.
Here is the complete show for you to check out: