Soldier Field Evacuated: Bears And Ravens Game Gets Delayed Due To Weather


Share this Post

In an act of nature, another professional football game has been delayed due to the severe weather conditions, with Solider Field being evacuated during the game that was played on Sunday afternoon at 1 p.m. in Chicago.

The weather has been having an effect on games more than in previous years, and this is the second time that it has happened to the Baltimore Ravens, who experienced a similar fate during their Super Bowl win in February. The Ravens led the Chicago Bears 10-0 in the first half, when the game was delayed for much of the afternoon, before finally coming back.

The game was initially delayed because of a tornado warning, and the severe weather alerts have been alerting people all over the Midwest. The storm hit hardest in Illinois, and especially the community of Washington in central Illinois.

Soldier Field was evacuated as the storm approached the game, and fans were advised to move to the nearest concourse, and stay there as a precaution. It was originally predicted that the storm would blow over, but the conditions on the field deteriorated fast, and after a few minutes, both teams left the field and headed to their respective locker rooms.


Michael Perdun, a citizen of the community was interviewed after the storm had hit and said, "I stepped outside and I heard it coming. My daughter was already in the basement, so I ran downstairs and grabbed her, crouched in the laundry room and all of a sudden I could see daylight up the stairway and my house was gone."

A severe storm is set to hit the Midwest throughout the day on Sunday, and anyone who lives in Illinois, Indiana, southern Michigan and western Ohio were at the greatest risk of seeing tornadoes, large hail and damaging winds, and while it began this morning, people living in those areas should still be taking precautions, and be safe tonight. There have been reports of heavy rain and wind during the day, throughout the Midwest.

Ironically, once the game finally resumed after Soldier Field's evacuation, it went on for much longer. The game did not end until after 6 p.m., and was finally decided when the Bears were able to defeat the Ravens in overtime with a final score of 23-20.

Images via SB Nation, Youtube