SES Session – Podcast & Audio Search
The podcast and audio search session was very good. It started with Amanda Watlington giving an overview of podcasting.
Other speakers included Darion Babin of Webmaster Radio and Rick Klau of Feedburner. They all made excellent points on podcasting. Takeaway points included:
* Bandwidth can be costly, but it’s worth it.
* Don’t just get into iTunes, submit podcasts everywhere.
* Make it as easy as possible for users to subscribe.
* Quality does matter so get good software, a good microphone and a pop screen.
* Prepare for growth.
* Always transcribe your shows and make that accessible to search engines.
* Use Feedburner to distribute feeds. 302 redirect existing feeds.
* Optimize show landing pages and show episode pages.
* Validate feeds.
* Educate and/or entertain in your podcast for success.
* Originality equals downloads.
* Always fill in the meta data on your audio files.
* ID3 tags can hold up to 246 Mb of text and images.
* Ping Ping Ping
* Audacity seemed to be a well liked, free, cross platform recording application.
Thomas McMahon is a SEO Designer for TopRank Online Marketing in Minneapolis, MN. His specialities inlude technical optimization of existing web sites, creating search engine friendly web designs, and blog optimization. He has also created a number of blog marketing tools, WordPress plug-ins and FireFox add-ons.