Quantcast

Second iPhone Electrocution Case Emerges In China

Get the WebProNews Newsletter:
Second iPhone Electrocution Case Emerges In China
[ Technology]

Earlier this week, news began circulating that a young woman was killed when she was electrocuted by her iPhone. Police and Apple are still investigating the incident, but many believe that the deadly shock was due to a problem with the phone’s charger. Now another iPhone electrocution incident has occurred in China.

Want China Times is reporting that Wu Jiantong was charging his phone on July 8 when his sister, Wu Jianxing, heard him exclaim that he was being electrocuted. She found him on the floor convulsing with the plugged in iPhone next to him. She unplugged the device, but reports feeling a slight shock herself from the charger.

Unlike the previous case of Ma Ailun, Jiantong didn’t die from the shock. He is, however, in a coma, and has been in one for 10 days. There’s no word on his current condition beyond that.

After two of these incidents happening so close together, people are obviously wondering what the hell is going on here. It seems that both victims were using unofficial chargers not made by Apple. These chargers reportedly have a small uninsulated metal part that could deliver a deadly shock if touched.

There’s another theory going around as well regarding the unofficial chargers. An engineer said that Apple’s official chargers drop the voltage from 220 volts to 5 volts when charging a phone. These unofficial chargers may be delivering the full 220 volts to the phone, and therefore could deliver a deadly shock to the person using it.

Obviously, this is nothing but speculation for now. We won’t know what really happened for sure until the police and Apple finish up their investigation into the matter.

Second iPhone Electrocution Case Emerges In China
Top Rated White Papers and Resources
  • http://www.NatureBag.ORG Bill

    A device designed to accept a 5 volt source that is supplied instead with a voltage that would harm an otherwise healthy human would be glowing, smoking or dead within a few seconds.

    I love Apple’s spin that the incidents could have been caused by using non-Apple chargers. Not only does it set the stage for any necessary legal defense. It also boosts the sale of Apple charging modules. Those folks are very clever.

    ‘Strange that now we have examples of mind-based human physical malfunction created by hysteria that is propagated by media rather than the traditional close proximity that’s been documented by medical science for many years.

    Are Chinese lawyers working with contingency fee arrangements?

    Are Chinese media chasing audience growth using tabloid journalism techniques?

    Indeed, what is going on here?

  • Bill

    Shocking, a short in any electrial device is dangerous. but apple blames
    the third party charger. The american way never take the blame,

  • http://www.xbomber.co.uk Piers Bell

    The poor souls probably had ages left to run on her AppleCare too. :(

  • http://www.ssrichardmontgomery.com ron

    The 5 volt part of a charger should have been totally isolated from the 220 part ( double insulated) if a component from the 220 volt side internally touched or had an insulation breakdown to the 5 volt side then the iPhone would become “live” at 220 volts but the phone would continue to work as only 5 volts was running through it as there was nowhere for the 220 volt to return to its second wire “ The reason birds can sit on high voltage cables without getting harmed” The metal work ( earphone socket ) would be live at 220 volts the person touching it would conduct through themselves to ground if they were on a wet floor without shoes or had part of their body in contact with an earthed metal object like a tap the full 220 volts. It would be 50-50 in this fault condition to whether they got a shock depending on which way they plugged the 2 pin plug into the socket as one pin connects to neutral and has virtually no voltage on it. This applies to European electrics. in the USA it is 120 volts with 60 volts between each pin to ground in most areas so just a shock to make you drop device. Most European countries and electrics in the last few years in the uk have RCD devices which detect an imbalance between in and out of a device turning off the power before it does any harm. A fuse only protects the wiring against fire not shock. It is very important to only use 3 pin plugs on devices with 3 wires or adapters which convert pins between different countries because if the earth is not connected through the 3rd pin you could get a bad shock under fault condition or burn out your laptop, as it will earth it self through its peripherals ( usb ect) or you.
    See:
    http://www.ssrichardmontgomery.com/adapters.htm

    Ron angel
    Design Eng