Samsung To Appeal Galaxy Nexus Ban As Apple Targets Galaxy S III

    July 2, 2012

Earlier this morning we brought you news that Apple had secured a preliminary injunction against the Samsung Galaxy Nexus in U.S. District Court. The injunction means that the judge in the case – Lucy Koh – believes Apple has a strong case and is likely to be able to prove in court that Samsung is infringing on its patents.

Samsung, as you might expect, wasted no time in filing their notice of appeal. According to Florian Mueller of FOSS Patents, Samsung filed their notice of appeal yesterday (the injunction was granted on Friday afternoon). The notice outlines Samsung’s strategy for the appeal, and asks that the injunction be stayed until the Federal Circuit Court can rule on the appeal.

The Galaxy Nexus injunction was the second won by Apple last week. On Wednesday Judge Koh also granted an injunction against the Galaxy Tab 10.1, which Apple says violates its design patents. Samsung was similarly quick off the mark in filing a notice of appeal in that case.

Meanwhile, Apple appears ready to make trouble for Samsung’s newest flagship device as well. Earlier this month we told you that Apple tried to block the sale of the Galaxy S III before it even hit U.S. shores. Though that attempt failed, Topeka Capital Markets analyst Brian White recently told investors that he expects Apple to continue attacking the Galaxy S III in court, and that a victory by Apple against Samsung’s latest phone would cause “big problems” for Apple’s chief rival in the smartphone industry.