Retrevo Says Google Update Pushed Bigger Brands Up
Consumer electronics shopping site Retrevo was among those sites hurt by Google’s recent algorithm update. The company tells us that bigger brands are now favored over their content for searches where they were ranking well before.
Co-founder and VP of Marketing Manish Rathi tells WebProNews, "We saw ranking for us go up for some pages and go down for some pages on Google. The net effect has been marginally negative – single digit in percentage terms and with negligible business impact. In our assessment, the marginal drop in ranking for some pages is attributed to bigger brands (CNET, Amazon and CE brands) gaining over us where we used to be ahead of them."
"We have built a brand around consumer technology that is trusted by more than 6 million users every month," says Rathi. "Retrevo’s value map, real-time review, user manuals and accessory compatibility is a novel way to help consumers navigate the ever-confusing technology shopping space."
"Search engines continue to make tweaks to improve the user experience for the right reason and we believe as Retrevo’s brand becomes stronger over time, we will get our fair share of the recognition against bigger brands such as CNET and Amazon," Rathi adds. "At the end of the day, we live and die by the belief that if you do the right thing for your customers, you will be a winner."
Retrevo often publishes studies about consumer electronics, looking at things like tablet purchases, mobile shopping habits, connected TV operating systems, etc.
According to Crunchbase, it is now one of the largest consumer electronics shopping and review sites online. Main competitors are listed as PC World and CNET Reviews.
For more from our series on casualties from the recent Google algorithm update, see the following articles:
– Google Algorithm Update Casualties Speak
– Google Algorithm Update to Get "New Layer" to Help "Falsely Caught" Sites
– EzineArticles Aims to Get Rankings Back, Following Google Algorithm Update
– Google Update Costs Mahalo Employees Their Jobs
– Calacanis on Google Algorithm Aftermath and Impact on Mahalo
– Google Algorithm Update Helps (Not Hurts) eHow
– Did Google’s Algorithm Update Go Far Enough on Content Farms?
– Demand Media Responds to Google Content Farm Update
– Google Finally Cracks Down on Content Farms