Updated with more stats directly from Pinterest at the bottom.
Pinterest revealed that it now has over 100 million monthly active users, according to a new report from The New York Times. This is the first time we've gotten a hard user count from the company.
The size of Pinterest's user base is more important than ever now that the service offers advertising and is pushing businesses to take advantage of it. In fact, they're not only pushing businesses to advertise, they want businesses to allocate part of their search budgets to Pinterest, which is still the bulk of online advertising dollars.
Pinterest has also been directly emailing businesses trying to convince them to promote popular pins.
Pinterest's size makes it all the more impressive as a generator of social media referral traffic. Shareaholic consistently reports it second only to Facebook in that regard, and well above number three Twitter. Considering Twitter has over three times as many monthly active users and Facebook has 1.49 billion, I'd say that's pretty good.
Update: Pinterest has now officially annnounced its 100 million milestone, including some additional stats:
- The number of Pinners doubled in the past 18 months
- About 70% of Pinners aren’t just visiting Pinterest, but discovering something so interesting that they’ve saved it or clicked on it to learn more.
- The number of searches on Pinterest increased 81% YoY
- International users have doubled in the last year and make up about 45% of the total.
- Two-thirds of all the content people Pin is from a business' website (such as a retail site or blog)
People have created millions of boards as they use Pinterest as a planning tool:
- More than 130 million boards categorized as Home Decor, which represent rooms that people have or want to someday redecorate.
- More than 180 million boards related to Food/Drink. Some of these are dinners that people will cook next week. Some are next year’s holiday dinner.
- There are nearly 300 million boards about fashion, created by Pinners looking to discover their sense of style.
- There are more than 30 million education boards created by teachers and parents helping kids learn in a more creative way.
- More than 296 million fashion boards
Images via Pinterest, SocialMarketingWriting.com