Starting March 26th, Pepsi will be launching a new product called Pepsi Next, a soft drink that has "real cola taste with 60% less sugar than Pepsi Cola". The campaign comes after research that the company says shows consumers' resistance to either full-sugar or diet drinks.
The product launch will include:
- A Walmart sampling program which will hit 800 Walmart Supercenter stores across the country, beginning March 26 through the end of April.
- In-market sampling for consumers to try Pepsi NEXT for free across 40+ cities nationwide between the end of March and August 2012.
- A TV ad spot, created by TBWA/Chiat/Day, featuring an excited young couple recording their first interaction with Pepsi NEXT, meanwhile missing the “unbelievable acts” of their baby in the background, from dancing to handstands. This 30-second spot will begin airing nationwide on March 26 on prime-time and cable networks, and will be complemented with online and radio advertising.
- A digital application on facebook.com/pepsinext inviting users to “taste” Pepsi NEXT online.
- Multi-city PR events in which a few famous faces will surprise lucky fans with their first sip of Pepsi NEXT.
The product's commercial is now available to view online:
Pepsi's biggest competitor, Coca-Cola, introduced a similar product called Coke Zero in 2007 which is low-calorie and low-sugar. The soft drink's ad campaign was aimed at young males, who were found to be typically resistant to try a beverage labeled as "diet" in research studies.