Despite what you might have read over the weekend, the ladies of Litchfield will be back for a third season.
Self-proclaimed "satirical and entertainment website" Empire News published an article on Friday with the clickbaity headline "Netflix Pulls Plug On Orange Is The New Black; The Reason Why May Shock You". In it, we learned that Orange Is The New Black had been unexpectedly yanked from Netflix's streaming lineup after a dustup between CEO Reed Hastings and show creator Jenji Kohan. The article said that Hastings demanded more male leads for the female-dominated show.
Here was the reason that may shock you:
“A woman’s place is in the home, in the kitchen, taking care of children.” Hastings told San Jose Mercury News reporter Noah Houpt as he was leaving Netflix headquarters Monday afternoon. “A woman in jail? How does anyone even watch this show in the first place? It’s like we took everything bad about OZ, and make this show with the leftovers.”
Even with that nugget of ridiculousness, the post blew up, with thousands of commenters expressing their outrage.
Fucking bullshit!! Hastings, this is 2014 get ur head out of the 1950's fucking douchebag!!
, wrote one angry reader.
The article spread rapidly via social media channels over the weekend. The rumor got so huge, that Netflix had to publicly refute it.
— Netflix US (@netflix) July 12, 2014
Orange Is The New Black has NOT been canceled. Whoever started this rumor will be spending some time in the SHU. pic.twitter.com/tslCdjBkht
— Orange Is the New... (@OITNB) July 12, 2014
This shit to the bull, as Taystee would say, was an exercise in mass trolling and another example of what can happen when people mindlessly click "share".
Think before you share, ya buncha goofs.