"Half of the people in the country are on Facebook, and many of those people have hundreds if not thousands of 'friends' - and I find this unacceptable. No one has thousands of friends."
That's the philosophy behind the initiative started by Jimmy Kimmel on his late night show last year. The second annual "National UnFriend Day," or "NUD," is today, November 17th. All that is asked is that you sift through your plethora of Facebook friends and dump the ones you really don't need.
And from someone who's recently performed this task - holy hell does it feel good. It's like the best kind of cleaning, because you're throwing people away. It's amazing. Just sit down at your desk, crack open a beer, and start deciding whose BS you're sick of hearing all the time. But how do you decide who to unfriend?
According to Kimmel, this year should run on a point system. If any of your Facebook friends reach 50 points, send them packing. Here are some of the actions that can earn unfriend points, according to Kimmel: Changing their profile pic more than once a month (5 pts), Posting a photo of a pet (8 points per photo), and Inviting you to see their band more times than you've talked in real life (a big offender at 30 points). As you'll see from his complete list, there's only one thing that should result in an automatic unfriending -
I'd like to add a few more offenses to the list, complete with their corresponding point values (on a 50 point system):
- Posts at least once a day about their baby (5 points)
- If they have ever shared a photo album simply called "photography" (5 points)
- Posts a status containing the phrase "Like this status and I will ______" (10 points)
- Vaguebooking, or posting vague statuses and refusing to get more specific when asked about them (15 points)
- Stills thinks poking is something people do (20 points)
- Complains about Facebook on Facebook more than once a week (30 points)
- Clicks a dirty link and fills your news feed with porn, gore, and animal abuse pics for a week (50 points)
Need some motivation to pull the trigger? Here's the National UnFriend Day theme song, courtesy of Braid Paisely and Hootie and the Blowfish's Darius Rucker:
People are taking to another social media outlet to celebrate the day:
It's national unfriend day. Time to unfriend some of you bitches.
If National UnFriend day has a mascot, it should probably be Annoying Facebook Girl:
So, are you going to participate in the holiday? C'mon, it's fun, I promise. How bout you start slow, set a goal for yourself - maybe 10 unfriends in one hour. Once you get rolling, you won't be able to stop deleting people from your virtual life.
What are your biggest Facebook pet peeves? Let us know in the comments.