Murder, She Wrote Reboot CancelledBy: Jennifer Curra - January 23, 2014
Murder, She Wrote will not be rewritten after all as another eagerly-awaited television reboot dies an early death. Longtime fans of Jessica Fletcher and Murder, She Wrote were looking forward to a return to Cabot Cove. Unfortunately, recent reports claim that NBC will not be moving forward with this reboot. While fans may be disappointed with this news, the show’s original star may have a differing view.
Angela Lansbury spoke with the Associated Press last year regarding her feelings about the potential reboot of the classic show. “I think it’s a mistake to call it Murder, She Wrote, because Murder, She Wrote will always be about Cabot Cove and this wonderful group of people who told those lovely stories and enjoyed a piece of that place, and also enjoyed Jessica Fletcher, who is a rare and very individual kind of person.” Lansbury said before adding, “So, I’m sorry that they have to use the title Murder, She Wrote, even though they have access to it and it’s their right.”
News of a reboot for the 1980s mystery series began circling the web last fall with Oscar winner Octavia Spencer mentioned as the leading lady to assume the main female role. However, there were noticeable differences in the plot. The character Jessica Fletcher was not slated to return, but rather the detective exploits of a hospital administrator were rumored to be the focal point of the projected reboot.
Angela Lansbury spoke with BBC News after hearing the news that the reboot would not progress to the production phase. “I knew it was a terrible mistake. I didn’t want to sully the memory. Octavia Spencer is a superb actress. She had no business being put into a situation that she couldn’t win,” Lansbury said.
Image Via Wikimedia Commons