Minnesota Republican Michele Bachmann will not seek a fifth term in Congress representing the state's 6th district, as she made an official announcement in YouTube video.
"After a great deal of thought and deliberation, I have decided next year, I will not seek a fifth congressional term to represent the wonderful people of the 6th district of Minnesota. After serious consideration, I am confident that this is the right decision," she said.
Bachmann also said that in her opinion, the 8-year term limit for the U.S. President makes sense for members of Congress as well. She claims that the decision had nothing to do with concerns about possibly losing her next bid.
"I've always in the past defeated candidates that are capable, qualified, and well-funded. And I have every confidence that if I ran, I would again defeat the individual who I defeated last year, who recently announced that he is once again running."
Bachmann also denies that the decision was influenced by the recent inquiries being made into campaign spending during her failed presidential campaign.
"I fully anticipate the mainstream liberal media to put a detrimental spin on my decision not to seek a fifth term,” she said. “They always seemed to attempt to find a dishonest way to disparage me. But I take being the focus of their attention and disparagement as a true compliment of my public service effectiveness.”
I have prepared a personal video just for you.michelebachmann.com/announcement/t… I wanted to share this important breaking news with you first.
— Michele Bachmann (@TeamBachmann) May 29, 2013
While Bachmann is using YouTube to sign out, other politicians are using it to sign in. Last week, Twitter-troubled former Congressman Anthony Weiner announced his run for Mayor of New York City in a YouTube video.