Meat Recall: Improper Inspections Lead to Contaminated Beef Products
Pounds of beef products from Rancho Feeding Corporation in Petaluma, Calif., have gone on recall due to improperly inspected animals.
Approximately 8.7 million products were said to be unfit for human consumption.
The recall was first announced January 13 when thousands of beef packages processed by the Northern California food company were said to come from unhealthy animals that didn’t go through a full federal inspection.
According to CNN, an assortment of different meats listed from Jan. 1, 2013 to Jan. 7, 2014, including “heads, cheeks, lips, livers, feet and tongues in boxes of 20 pounds and bigger,” are contaminated.
“The products are adulterated because they are unsound, unwholesome or otherwise are unfit for human food and must be removed from commerce,” reported the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Food Safety and Inspection Service.
The government agency has yet to confirm the details of the disease, but a year’s worth of beef products will immediately be removed from grocery store shelves.
A number of contaminated packages were sent to distribution centers and restaurants across the U.S. States like Florida and Texas are said to be those who may be affected by the recall.
Additionally, on February 5, Patterson Food Processors of Fort Worth, TX recalled nearly 16,000 beef products contaminated with E. Coli.
Brookshire Grocery Co. was one of the stores listed by the USDA. Director of public relations Rebecca Sanders verified Saturday the concerns related to the recall.
“BGC officials encourage any customers who may still have this product with UPC number 0085411300189 and “use by” date of 1/13/2014 to return it to their local store for a full refund…Consumer safety is of utmost importance to Brookshire Grocery Company and encourages any customer to return [the] product to their local Brookshire Grocery Co. store if it is included in this recall.”
Although no illnesses have been reported, federal regulators say that consumption of beef products could definitely cause extreme health problems or possibly even lead to death.