Joss Stone’s Would-Be Murderers Appeal SentencesBy: Ellisha Rader Mannering - May 21, 2014
Kevin Liverpool and Junior Bradshaw, the two men who were convicted of plotting to rob and kill Joss Stone, recently appealed to have their sentences reduced.
The London appeals court reduced Liverpool’s minimum jail time from 10 to six-and-a-half years. Bradshaw’s minimum sentence was reduced from 18 years to 10 years.
In 2011, the two men were found guilty of plotting to kill the singer and were arrested in Stone’s neighborhood. The men had been driving around the neighborhood when a resident became suspicious and called the cops. The police found a samurai sword and written plans to kill the singer in the vehicle with the men.
The men planned to rob and then behead Stone before dumping her body in a river near her home. They were angry with the singer because she had recently performed at a charity event organized by Princes William and Harry and had also attended the royal wedding of William and Kate.
Both men received life in prison. Liverpool was 35-years-old at the time and received a minimum sentence of 10 years. Bradshaw was 32 at the time and received a 18-year minimum sentence.
Although the courts agreed to reduce the minimum sentence, there is no guarantee that the men will be released at that time.
Liverpool will be up for parole in 2017, but an appeals judge said he could still serve life in jail. As with most parole cases, his behavior in prison will determine how soon he is released.
“The significance of the minimum term is that it specifies that the Parole Board will only be able to consider for the first time in late 2017 whether the appellant can safely be released,” the judge said.
Stone has not commented on the arrests or the recent appeal decision. The judge did not say why he decided to allow for the sentence reduction and many people are upset by the decision.
Do you think the judge made the right choice?
Image via Wikimedia Commons