Jameis Winston Will Not Be Charged In Sexual Assault Case

    December 5, 2013

Jameis Winston has been under fire recently for allegedly raping a young woman who accused him of the assault, which happened about a year ago. The investigation has finally come to a close, and Winston will not be charged in the case of sexual assault.

It appears that there was simply not enough evidence to charge the 19-year-old Heisman candidate and one of the best quarterbacks in the league. Jameis Winston, the quarterback for Florida State, is likely headed for the BCS National Championship.

Winston would have faced charges of sexual battery, although there is not enough evidence to charge him in the case. William Meggs, the state attorney for Florida’s Second Judicial Court, said of the case “We have a duty as prosecutors to determine if each case has a reasonable likelihood of conviction. After reviewing the facts in this case, we do not feel that we can reach those burdens.”

While the fact that he is a superstar athlete could have helped his case, the state attorney said that they try to treat everyone the same, and they have a history of doing that. Evidence was collected at the time of the incident to suggest that Winston was involved, but he claims that he had consensual sex with the accuser.

It was reported last month that Jameis Winston was being investigated for sexual assault but the real question is, why would it take the police this long to accuse Winston of the crime? The report also detailed a description of a man that is much shorter than Winston, which could have also helped his case. He has denied the allegations to a crime that occurred on December 7th of 2012, and since he was not investigated until now, it seems to hard to link him to the case.

Jameis Winston has already won ACC player of the year, and as Florida State gets ready to play against Duke for the ACC title on Saturday, he will continue to make his case for the Heisman Trophy as well, given to the most outstanding player in college football. Of course, this is not the first time that a Heisman candidate has been under fire for doing something negative off the field, and just in the past few years, Reggie Bush and Cam Newton received similar attention.

Throughout the investigation, Jameis Winston had refused to comment on the situation, and has remained the starting quarterback for the Seminoles.

Image via Wikimedia Commons