If You Drop Your Phone in a Septic Tank, Just Let It Go Man

By: Josh Wolford - May 30, 2014

As a 28-year-old whose screws up a lot, I in no way feel qualified to dispense life advice on most topics. Having said that, I feel pretty confident in issuing this one small token of advice:

If you drop your smartphone in an open-pit toilet, just let it go, man, it’s lost.

In fact, if you drop anything into an open-pit toilet–just forget about it. The only exception to that rule is if you were to drop a loved one, possibly a pet or small child, into the giant vat of poop–and even then I’d probably think twice about it.

Two people are dead and one is reported as unconscious after six grown adults in China jumped in an open-air septic tank looking to retrieve a lost phone.

According to the AFP a women dropped her $200 smartphone into the poo pit, and her husband immediately went in after it. When the smell hit him, he passed out. His mother then jumped in (after her son, not the phone I assume) and also proceeded to faint.

The owner of the phone and her father-in-law followed the two down the one-meter sq. hole and reportedly “became ill” (you think?).

It didn’t stop there, as two neighbors then jumped in as well.

People in the town were forced to use ropes to retrieve all six from the toilet tank. Horribly, two were dead (the husband and his mother) and one (the phone-owner) was left seriously injured.

As we head into the weekend, it’s important to remember than no matter how much you paid for a device, you should draw the line at poop retrievals. Also, in a related piece of life advice, also avoid oncoming trains.

Image via Thinkstock

About the Author

Josh WolfordJosh Wolford is a writer for WebProNews. He likes beer, Japanese food, and movies that make him feel weird afterward. Mostly beer. Follow him on Twitter: @joshgwolf Instagram: @joshgwolf Google+: Joshua Wolford StumbleUpon: joshgwolf

View all posts by Josh Wolford
  • Bruce Johnson

    “When the smell hit him, he passed out” He didn’t pass out from the smell, he passed out from lack of oxygen and too much methane and CO2.
    That being said I wouldn’t climb down into that mess for a thousand dollar phone…Even if there were loads of oxygen and no poisonous gasses.

  • Bruce Johnson

    BTW: This happens much too frequently to farmers cleaning out manure pits used for livestock, many have died as a result…Something else I’d never do, even wearing an oxygen mask.