How to Use the Office Christmas Party to Enhance Your Career
Use your Emotional Intelligence and Interpersonal skills and you can get a lot of mileage out of the holiday party.
1. It’s a command performance, not an option, so attend.
2. It is a social event, but it is a business social event, so don’t relax and “party”. The boss is watching and so are your superiors. Show them you can handle yourself at a corporate event.
3. Do not ask for a raise or promotion.
4. Take the golden opportunity to introduce yourself to the boss and other superiors.
5. Mind your Ps and Qs. It’s no longer “fooling around,” it’s “sexual harassment,” and the same sanctions apply.
6. Dress appropriately. This isn’t the time to show your hairy chest and new tattoo, or cleavage. You should aim for a festive but professional look.
7. Drink little, or not at all.
8. Brush up on your etiquette before you go — http://www.ideamarketers.com/library/article.cfm?articleid=23898 Your social graces and ability to handle yourself are being observed and are expected if you want a promotion.
9. Mix and mingle. Show your ability to get along with others and network.
10. Be able to make interesting conversation. Cornering the boss and “talking business,” or trying to work out a department snafu is inappropriate.
Susan Dunn, MA, Marketing Coach,
http://www.webstrategies.cc. Marketing consultation,
implementation, website review, SEO optimization, article
writing and submission, help with ebooks and other
strategies. Susan is the author or How to Write an eBook
and Market It on the Internet. Mailto:email@example.com
for information and free ezine. Specify Checklist.