How Over 400 Million People Use Facebook
Last week, as Facebook celebrated its sixth birthday, the company announced that it was surpassing the 400 million-user milestone. That’s one good reason why it pays for businesses to have Facebook Pages. That’s not the only impressive number though.
Facebook has released a whole slew of statistics about how the site is used by those people. Following are those statistics:
– More than 400 million active users
– 50% of our active users log on to Facebook in any given day
– More than 35 million users update their status each day
– More than 60 million status updates posted each day
– More than 3 billion photos uploaded to the site each month
– More than 5 billion pieces of content (web links, news stories, blog posts, notes, photo albums, etc.) shared each week
– More than 3.5 million events created each month
– More than 3 million active Pages on Facebook
– More than 1.5 million local businesses have active Pages on Facebook
– More than 20 million people become fans of Pages each day
– Pages have created more than 5.3 billion fans
– Average user has 130 friends on the site
– Average user sends 8 friend requests per month
– Average user spends more than 55 minutes per day on Facebook
– Average user clicks the Like button on 9 pieces of content each month
– Average user writes 25 comments on Facebook content each month
– Average user becomes a fan of 4 Pages each month
– Average user is invited to 3 events per month
– Average user is a member of 13 groups
– More than 70 translations available on the site
– About 70% of Facebook users are outside the United States
– Over 300,000 users helped translate the site through the translations application
– More than one million developers and entrepreneurs from more than 180 countries
– Every month, more than 70% of Facebook users engage with Platform applications
– More than 500,000 active applications currently on Facebook Platform
– More than 250 applications have more than one million monthly active users
– More than 80,000 websites have implemented Facebook Connect since its general availability in December 2008
– More than 60 million Facebook users engage with Facebook Connect on external websites every month
– Two-thirds of comScore’s U.S. Top 100 websites and half of comScore’s Global Top 100 websites have implemented Facebook Connect
– There are more than 65 million active users currently accessing Facebook through their mobile devices.
– People that use Facebook on their mobile devices are almost 50% more active on Facebook than non-mobile users.
– There are more than 180 mobile operators in 60 countries working to deploy and promote Facebook mobile products
Google is reportedly getting ready to release a feature for Gmail, that may be seen as a competitor to Facebook. Gmail may not have such an impressive list of stats, but taking the rest of Google’s products into consideration, I think it would be fascinating to see a similar list to compare.
Facebook is allegedly working on its own email service. That will be an additional stat to keep an eye on.