Gowalla 2.0 Launches for iPhone
Gowalla is a service that has been getting a lot of buzz lately. If you’re not familiar with it, it’s a location-based social networksing service that comes in the form of mobile apps. Gowalla announced today, the availability of Gowalla 2.0 for the iPhone 3G and 3GS platforms.
Gowalla highlights the following new features with this version:
– Design – Gowalla developers have created a fresh new experience that is more flexible, readable and usable.
– Photos – Gowalla 2.0 gives users the ability to not only check in and create new spots; they can also upload a photo after checking in, browse photos from friends and see photos taken at that spot.
– Checkin Commenting – Now when a friend checks in someplace, other users in the community are able to tell that friend what they think.
– Multiple checkin messages – Users now have more opportunities to add messages even after they’ve left a checkin spot. Skipped typing a message? Come back and add one.
– Hot spots – The most popular spots nearby will be highlighted for users in a particular area to discover.
– Browse friends – and friends of friends. Browsing friends’ bookmarked spots and creating trips are two new features put in place by Gowalla’s developers by popular demand.
– Facebook, Twitter and web links – Building your Gowalla network is easier than ever with more ways to stay connected with friends through Facebook, Twitter and web links.
– Spot details – Address, phone numbers, Twitter names, Facebook pages and website will now be available in several checkin spots.
Gowalla will be heavily involved in SXSW (of which WebProNews will be covering the Interactive portion). Gowalla has updated its SXSW mini-site that details all of the SXSW initiatives the company will be rolling out, including: real world rewards, competitions, challenges and events.