E-Sigs That Work
Does your email signature contain a humorous quip or a philosophical quote from a dead poet? If yes, you’re wasting a wonderful opportunity to promote your business for free!
To a business person, an e-sig is an advertisement and the basic guidelines for writing advertisements apply. However, modifications for online use are required. Keep the following guidelines in mind:
1. Less is more. Some email systems and mailing lists will automatically cut off any signature exceeding 4-6 lines. Many email programs will allow you to set line lengths to about 60 characters – the ideal length for readability.
2. Attract attention to your signature by creating “borders” of text or special characters.
3. Include the name of your business and a short, pithy marketing statement.
4. Sell benefits, not features.
5. Offer something free – i.e. free information, free contest, free samples, etc.
6. Make it easy for people to contact you by providing clickable links to URLs and emails. For example, if you add “mailto:” in front of an email address, most email programs will allow the user to open a new message to that address simply by clicking on the link.
“A healthy puppy is a happy puppy! ” For a FREE report on
canine health and
nutrition, send a blank email to mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org
My Pet Store– For All Your Pet’s Needs!
In the simulated example above, the mythical Pet Place sells a benefit (i.e. a happy pet), offers free information that pet lovers will appreciate, provides contact information, states the business name, and gives viewers two methods to quickly contact The Pet Place. All in 31 words plus two lines of border!
How to Write Business Plans, Business Proposals, JV Contracts, More! No-cost ebook “Beginners Guide to Ecommerce”. Business Writing by Nightcats Multimedia Productions http://www.nightcats.com