Employers Using Social Networks To Screen Employees
As social networking becomes increasingly widespread, more employers are using these sites to screen potential employees.
More than half (53%) of employers reported in a recent CareerBuildere.co.uk survey that they use social networking sites to research job candidates. Another 12 percent plan to start using social networking sites for screening.
Among employers who conduct online background checks of job candidates, 43 percent use search engines, 12 percent use Facebook and 12 percent use LinkedIn. Three percent search blogs and 4 percent follow candidates on Twitter.
"Social networking is a great way to make connections with potential job opportunities in 2010 and promote your personal brand across the Internet," said Farhan Yasin, president of CareerBuilder EMEA.
"Make sure you are using this resource to your advantage by conveying a professional image and underscoring your qualifications."
Top reasons why employers disregarded candidates after screening online:
- Candidate lied about qualifications – 38 percent
- Candidate showed poor communication skills – 31 percent
- Candidate made discriminatory comments – 13 percent
- Candidate posted content about them drinking or using drugs – 10 per cent
- Candidate posted provocative or inappropriate photographs or information – 9 percent
- Candidate bad-mouthed their previous employer, co-workers or clients – 9 percent
- Candidate shared confidential information from previous employer – 8 percent
Top reasons employers hired candidates after screening online:
- Profile supported candidate’s professional qualifications – 61 percent
- Candidate showed solid communication skills – 41 percent
- Candidate was well-rounded – 37 percent
- Profile provided a good feel for the candidate’s personality and fit – 28 percent
- Candidate seemed creative -24 percent Candidate conveyed a professional image – 22 percent
- Candidate received awards and accolades – 15 percent
- Other people posted good references about the candidate – 15 percent