Deion Sanders Workers’ Comp: Is He a Hypocrite?By: Erika Watts - September 7, 2013
Despite being very vocal about being against concussion lawsuits during the Super Bowl last February, documents reveal that Deion Sanders had an injury claim of his own. The former Cowboys cornerback filed a claim against Dallas in 2010, citing multiple injuries, including head and neck injuries.
The workers’ comp claim, which hasn’t yet been settled, comes as a bit of a surprise after Sanders ragged on the players who have lawsuits against the NFL for similar injuries. “The game is a safe game,” the now NFL Network analyst said. “I don’t buy all these guys coming back with these concussions. I’m not buying all that. Half these guys are trying to make money off the deal.” The NFL settled a concussion lawsuit for $765 million last week after more than 4,500 former players sued because of complications relating to concussions and other head injuries.
The Division of Workers’ Compensation found that Sanders was 86% disabled in November 2010. Sanders’s workers’ comp claim says that he has more than a dozen medical conditions stemming from his time on the gridiron, including a sleep disorder and cognitive impairment. Despite his own claim, Sanders hasn’t had much sympathy for the claims that all those hits to the head can cause lasting issues, including depression and suicide.
A Twitter user took Sanders to task after his Super Bowl comments, wanting to know what Sanders would have to say to the family of Junior Seau, the former NFL player who committed suicide in 2012. The comments Sanders made about the game being safe came just weeks after the National Institutes of Health said that Seau suffered from chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE). According to the NIH, CTE is a type of brain damage that has been “found in deceased athletes who suffered repeat concussions and other blows to the head during their careers.”
It will be interesting to see how Sanders reacts now that his own lawsuit for similar injuries is revealed.