Consumers Getting More Comfortable with Mobile Shopping
As you know, smartphone usage is on the rise, and that means more opportunities for businesses to sell to customers via their mobile devices. We often hear about how important mobile is to the marketing strategy and especially future strategies, but how much are consumers really into shopping from their phones?
Retrevo shared some findings with us, and concludes that consumers are increasingly warming up to the concept of shopping from their phones. Andrew Eisner, Retrevo’s Director of Content says, "With the Mobile Internet becoming more available on everything from smartphones to tablet computers, we see an encouraging number of consumers researching and actually purchasing products with their mobile devices."
Not surprisingly, the mobile shopping is most popular with the young in pretty much every capacity, and the older the demographic, the less inclined they are to use mobile devices to shop.
The young also appear to be most likely to engage with mobile advertising, and even notice mobile ads at all. Furthermore, when asked about their experience when they used a mobile phone to shop, most said they searched for deals, found them, and got the best price, while nearly half also found that it made shopping easier and more fun. A much smaller percentage didn’t think it was worth it and wouldn’t try again.
Highlights from Retrevo’s Findings:
– 59% of people said they found the shopping information they were looking for, when using a mobile phone.
– Only 8% of people said they did not intend to shop from their mobile phone
– Only 9% of people, over 35 years old, have responded to an ad on their mobile phone, compared to 20% of people under 35.
– 55% of people, ages 18 – 24, have used a mobile phone to aid in the shopping process.
– 52% of people, ages 25 – 34, have used a mobile phone to aid in the shopping process.
– 36% of people, ages 35, 44, have used a mobile phone to aid in the shopping process.
– 17% of people, ages 45 and up, have used a mobile phone to aid in the shopping process.
– 17% of people, ages 18 – 24, have made a purchase using their mobile phone.
– 15% of people, ages 25 – 34, have made a purchase using their mobile phone.
– 10% of people, ages 35 – 44, have made a purchase using their mobile phone.
– 3% of people, ages 45 and above, have made a purchase using their mobile phone.
The research indicates that the future of online shopping via mobile devices is bright. Eventually, these younger users are going to become the older ones, and the future youngsters will probably find it hard to imagine a world where shopping from mobile devices wasn’t the norm.
A fitting quote from Google CEO Eric Schmidt: "Today’s generation doesn’t call it a mobile phone; they call it a phone."
Do you shop from your mobile device? Do you purchase items from it? Comment here.