Cirque du Soleil Oscar Performance Steals The Show According To Twitter
We’re already aware that Twitter was pretty much dominated by Oscar discussion on Sunday evening, but what part of the show really set users’ thumbs in motion? Was it host Billy Crystal’s opening routine? Was it when Meryl Streep shocked with her Best Actress win? Was is when The Artist won Best Picture as the close of the ceremony? No, no, and no, according to Twitter analytics company TweetReach.
Apparently, Oscar viewers were most compelled to tweet by the high-flying acrobatics of the Cirque du Soleil performance.
TweetReach tracked over 2 million Oscar-related tweets Sunday night and they say the biggest spike in activity was 18,718 tweets in one minute during the Cirque du Soleil performance.
The twitter chatter was varied in its assessment of the performance, but it no doubt had people talking:
That Cirque Du Soleil performance was AH-MAY-zing!!!
#Oscars. Cirque Du Soleil. I. Am. Speechless…Wow!
Here’s the Cirque du Soleil segments, courtesy of Mediaite:
TweetReach’s list for the top ten Twitter moments from the Oscars includes some big award moments as well as some of the comedy bits (like Zach Galifianakis & Will Ferrell) and J-Lo’s possible wardrobe malfunction:
- Cirque du Soleil performance.
- Octavia Spencer wins Best Supporting Actress for her role in The Help.
- Hugo wins for Best Visual Effects.
- Meryl Streep wins Best Actress for The Iron Lady.
- The Artist wins Best Picture.
- Zach Galifianakis and Will Ferrell present Best Original Song award to Bret McKenzie for The Muppets.
- Christopher Plummer wins Best Supporting Actor.
- Jennifer Lopez and her possible wardrobe malfunction.
- Jean Dujardin wins Best Actor for The Artist.
- Angelina Jolie presents Best Adapted Screenplay to The Descendants.
What was your favorite moment of the night? Let us know in the comments.