Chris Christie: Documents Released In “Bridgegate”By: Amanda Crum - January 10, 2014
Chris Christie may not have heard the last of the accusations in the “Bridgegate” scandal, as 1,000 documents have been released today concerning the incident.
The documents were made public by New Jersey legislators and contain information about the lane closings on the George Washington Bridge last year that wreaked havoc on traffic for four days and may have contributed to the death of a 91-year old woman who was having a health emergency and couldn’t get help in time. Governor Christie laid the blame on the shoulders of his aide, whose emails were leaked earlier this week and appeared to seek revenge on the mayor, who didn’t endorse Christie for re-election.
“Time for some traffic problems in Fort Lee,” wrote Kelly in an email to a Port Authority appointee David Wildstein.
Christie promised to hold his staffers responsible and said he planned to fire Kelly, saying he had no knowledge about the emails or the plans to close down the lanes of traffic between the bridge and Fort Lee.
“What I’ve seen today for the first time is unacceptable. I am outraged and deeply saddened to learn that not only was I misled by a member of my staff, but this completely inappropriate and unsanctioned conduct was made without my knowledge. One thing is clear: this type of behavior is unacceptable and I will not tolerate it because the people of New Jersey deserve better. This behavior is not representative of me or my Administration in any way, and people will be held responsible for their actions,” he said in the statement.
Many believe that the documents released today may shed a negative light on Christie.
“He’s not fully in control of this story anymore,” said Julian Zelizer, a professor of history at Princeton University. “Because he took such a firm stand yesterday and was emphatic that this was it, any information that shows otherwise will continue the story and force him to put more time on it.”
Image via Wikimedia Commons