Chris Christie Investigated For Misuse Of Sandy FundsBy: Amanda Crum - January 13, 2014
Chris Christie is facing new scandal this week after it was reported that an investigation is underway concerning his possible misuse of Hurricane Sandy funds.
Governor Christie is allegedly being looked at closely for possibly taking relief money to produce tourism ads for New Jersey which starred his family. The news comes just one week after he fired two staffers in what the media is calling “Bridgegate”, the controversial release of emails between the governor’s aide and a Port Authority appointee that show they shut down lanes of traffic between the George Washington Bridge and Fort Lee for four days last year, causing chaos and possibly even a death. The reason for the shutdown is allegedly revenge on the mayor, who didn’t back Christie for re-election.
New Jersey Democratic Rep. Frank Pallone says that the inspector general has concluded that there’s enough evidence of wrongdoing to launch an investigation, which could take months to complete. Christie is accused of taking some of the $25 million earmarked for relief after Hurricane Sandy decimated much of the area to create expensive tourism ads in order to draw people to the Jersey Shore.
“This was money that could have directly been used for Sandy recovery. And, as you know, many of my constituents still haven’t gotten the money that is owed them to rebuild their homes or raise their homes or to help,” Pallone told CNN.
This latest scandal could seriously affect his bid for the White House. Christie still maintains that he knew nothing about the lane closings on the bridge until the emails were released
“What I’ve seen today for the first time is unacceptable. I am outraged and deeply saddened to learn that not only was I misled by a member of my staff, but this completely inappropriate and unsanctioned conduct was made without my knowledge. One thing is clear: this type of behavior is unacceptable and I will not tolerate it because the people of New Jersey deserve better. This behavior is not representative of me or my Administration in any way, and people will be held responsible for their actions,” he said in the statement.
Image via Wikimedia Commons