Buckingham Palace: Arrests Made in Burglary Attempt


Share this Post

After a trespassing incident on Monday night at Buckingham Palace, officers have made two arrests. And it seems these two men weren't just trying to sneak a peak at the royal family, mainly because none of them were there at the time of the incident.

On Saturday the incident of trespassing and burglary was made public when police announced they had arrested two men. The first man, 37, was arrested when he scaled a security fence and was found "in an area currently open to the public during the day." Around 10:30 p.m. London time, be was arrested when he was found in one of the palace's state rooms. He was charged with trespassing, criminal damage, and burglary. He was later released on bail.

The second man, 38, was apprehended outside the palace. He was charged with suspicion of conspiracy to commit burglary. He too was later released on bail.

A spokesman from Scotland Yard said, "Both men have been bailed to return to a central London police station in mid-October and inquiries continue."

He added, "A review of the specific circumstances of this incident is being carried out."

Though not very common, this isn't the first time the palace has been broken into. The most famous break-in came in early July 1982, when Michael Fagan climbed over the palace walls and wandered around the home of the royal family. He entered the Queen's bedroom, and she quickly left the room screaming. A footman came to watch over Fagan until the police arrived. A month before that, Fagan had broken in to the palace and left undetected.

Prince Andrew, Duke of York, at the National Memorial Arboretum.

The attempted burglary wasn't the only excitement Buckingham Palace saw this week. Still a bit on edge, royal protection officers got a bit confused on Wednesday when they mistook Prince Andrew, the Duke of York, for a possible trespasser.

While taking a walk through the gardens of Buckingham Palace, the third child of Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Phillip was approached by two armed officers.

A newspaper reported that the officers pulled guns on Prince Andrew and shouted at him to get down on the ground, but a spokesman for Scotland Yard denied the reports.

The spokesman said, "On Wednesday, 4 September at approximately 1800 hours (1700 GMT) two uniformed officers approached a man in the gardens of Buckingham Palace to verify his identity. The man was satisfactorily identified. No weapons were drawn and no force was used."

Buckingham Palace and Prince Andrew photo via wikimedia.