Brock Lesnar Returns To WWE After 4 Months
Comments are off for this post.
Last week, rumors began circulating that Brock Lesnar would be returning to the UFC. However, the rumors were obviously false, seeing as how Brock has since returned to the WWE.
The rumors were simply a publicity stunt to generate buzz around Lesnar for his return to the WWE. The company says that announcing Lesnar’s return was always planned for December 30, they just didn’t announce or advertise it so that they could surprise the fans.
Lesnar, 36, hasn’t fought in the UFC since losing to Alistair Overeem on Dec. 30, 2011, when the ref stopped the fight in the first round. Before his last fight, Lesnar made a promise to his wife that if he won he would fight once more for a title, but if he lost he would retire. He held up his end of the deal, and retired.
Dana White helped to fuel the rumors by never denying them. When asked if he would be meeting with Lesnar in Las Vegas after the UFC 168 post-conference, White said, “Really? I don’t know. I honestly don’t know.” “Honestly?” the reporter asked. “Honestly,” White replied. However, the last time rumors circulated about Lesnar’s possible return to the UFC, White confirmed that he “was never coming back.”
Even if the UFC rumors had any truth behind them, it wouldn’t be possible for Lesnar. He remains under a WWE contract until April 2015. “WWE has exclusive rights to services (to Lesnar) and such exclusivity extends to ultimate fighting competitions,” said a WWE official.
Image via WWE.com