Blogs and Ethics
JD Lasica has an in-depth article on shilling, influence and blog ethics at Online Journalism Review.
He suggests these norms have emerged:
- Disclose, disclose, disclose. Transparency – of actions, motives and financial considerations – is the golden rule of the blogosphere.
- Follow your passions. Blog about topics you care deeply about.
- Be honest. Write what you believe.
- Trust your readers to form their own judgments and conclusions.
- Reputation is the principal currency of cyberspace. Maintain your independence and integrity – lost trust is difficult to regain.
A pretty fair account, and probably not the lowed common denominator. In the interest of the first principle, I decided to accept George Bush’s Headphones. When they arrive, I’ll let you know if they are rose or white-colored.
He also writes Ross Mayfield’s Weblog which focuses on markets, technology and musings.