Avoid These Web Site Design And Writing No-Nos
Is your website doomed before it even gets off the ground? A badly-designed website can turn off potential customers before they even think about buying your product.
Here are some website design mistakes that you should avoid.
1. Don’t load your web site with a lot of high tech clutter. As a rule, avoid using fancy animation or script code unless it is absolutely necessary.. Those things only serve to distract from your sales message.
2. A website that loads slowly is just about the most annoying thing on the Internet. Don’t use large graphics or anything else that dramatically increases your site’s load time.
3. Don’t make the mistake that everyone will totally understand your web site message. Use descriptive words and examples to get your point across.
4. Don’t write your strongest point or benefit only once. You should repeat it at least 3 times because some people may miss it.
5. Don’t push all your words together on your web site. People like to skim; use plenty of headings and sub headings.
6. Stay focused. Don’t use site content your target audience isn’t interested in. If people are coming to your site to find info about fishing, then don’t include soccer content.
7. Keep a unified theme. Don’t use 50 different content formats all over your web site. Use the same fonts, text sizes, text colors, etc.
8. Stick to the basics. Don’t use words your web site visitors might not understand. People are not going to stop and look in a dictionary, they will just go to another site.
9. Don’t let your selling words and phrases go unnoticed. Highlight important words and phrases with color, bolding, italics, underlining, etc.
10. Don’t forget to use words that create emotion. All people have emotions, people will have more interest when they are emotionally attached.
11. Don’t use unnecessary words or phrases on your site. You only have so much time to get your visitor’s attention and interest; so make ever word count.
12. Stay organized by avoiding the “cluttered” look. I see plenty of websites that have banners and graphics strewn all over the place with no rhyme or reason. These sites look awful and , needless to say, I click away from them as quickly as possible.
By avoiding these website design mistakes, you increase the odds that visitors will stay on your site long enough to make that purchase.