Today at the Apple Worldwide Developer Conference in San Francisco, after the unveiling of apps for Netflix, Farmville and Guitar Hero, Steve Jobs unveiled the iPhone 4, just as everyone expected him to.
Features of the device (based on these liveblogged notes from the keynote) include:
- All New Design
- Thinnest Smartphone ever
- Stainless steel for strength
- Glass for optical quality and scratch resistance
- Integrated Antennas
- "Extraordinary build quality"
- 3.5 inch display
- 960x640 pixels (4x more)
- 326 pixels per inch
- 800:1 contrast ration (4x better)
- IPS technology
- Front facing camera
- Camera + LED Flash on the Back
- Retina display (higher resolution) - 326 pixels per inch
- A4 processor
- improved battery by 40% - 7 hours of 3g talk, 6 hours of 3g browsing, 10 hrs of Wifi Browsing, 10 hrs of video, 300 hrs of standby
- Up to 32 GB of storage
- 5 megapixel camera
- camera records HD Video
- Built-in video editing
- Google will stay as default search, but Bing added as new option
- Video chatting (called Face Time)...WiFi only at this po
- comes in 2 colors. Black and White
- $199 for 16GB, $299 for 32GB
- Goes on sale June 24
Apps for iMovie (video editing) and iBooks, as well as Apple's advertising platform iAds (going live on July 1) were also demonstrated. We will no doubt have a more official rundown of the new iPhone and its features before long.
The iPhone OS has now been renamed iOS, with this one being called iOS 4. This makes sense, since the operating system is on more than just phones.