Amazon announced that it’s been the best holiday ever for the Kindle. Not much of a surprise really, but the numbers are pretty impressive. Keep in mind, they include the Kindle Fire.
Some highlights Amazon points to:
- Throughout December, customers purchased well over 1 million Kindle devices per week.
- The new Kindle family held the top three spots on the Amazon.com best seller charts – #1: Kindle Fire, #2: Kindle Touch, #3: Kindle.
- Kindle Fire is the #1 best-selling, most gifted, and most wished for product across the millions of items available onAmazon.com since its introduction 13 weeks ago.
- Kindle is also the best-selling product on Amazon.co.uk, Amazon.de, Amazon.fr, Amazon.es and Amazon.it this holiday season.
- Gifting of Kindle books was up 175 percent between this Black Friday and Christmas Day compared to the same period in 2010.
- Christmas Day was the biggest day ever for Kindle book downloads.
- Kindle Fire is the best-selling product on Amazon.com’s mobile website and across all of Amazon.com’s mobile applications.
“We are grateful to our customers worldwide for making this the best holiday ever for Kindle,” said Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos. “And in a huge milestone for independent publishing, we’d also like to congratulate Darcie Chan, the author of ‘The Mill River Recluse,’ and Chris Culver, the author of ‘The Abbey,’ for writing two of the best-selling Kindle books of the year.”
Amazon also laid out some significant successes for Kindle Direct Publishing. For one, The month’s top selling direct-publishing book was “Wife by Wednesday,” which was also the number 5 overall best-selling Kindle book for the month. Author Catherin Bybee has been able to leave her day job to become a full-time writer.
Also this year, Kindle Direct Publishing author CJ Lyons reached number 2 on Amazon’s Best Seller list, as well as number 2 on the NY Times Best Seller list . She also was able to quit her day job.