6 Verticals See Triple-Digit Growth in Mobile Advertising
Millennial Media has released its latest monthly SMART report, looking at the mobile advertising landscape. The report looks at the top verticals (six of which had triple digit growth YoY).
The report also looks at actions marketers are trying to get consumer to take when they see the ads. "Social media actions in particular had significant growth quarter-over-quarter, as marketers are trying to use advertising to drive actions such as ‘liking’ a FB page," a spokesperson for Millennial Media tells WebProNews.
Some takeaways from the report include:
– Telecommunications was the top vertical for mobile advertising. This was primarily driven by carriers and device manufacturers that doubled down their mobile buys doing the holiday season. Windows Phone 7 devices in particular relied heavily on mobile advertising.
– Six verticals had triple digit growth year-over-year. Automotive grew 623% and Retail & Restaurants grew 572%
– 49% of mobile campaigns were designed to drive consumers to a website. 16% of campaigns were designed to drive app downloads
– Leveraging the increasing consumer desire to use LBS as part of the mobile experience, 22% of campaigns used a "store locator" as the desired campaign action.
– 14% of campaigns had a "social media" post-click campaign action-where consumers can interact with FB or Twitter, or perhaps post pictures to a custom site
– 57% of campaigns used a general broad reach, while 43% targeted a specific audience. Of the targeted campaigns, targeting by demographic was the most popular method.
Millennial Media recently reported that Android surpassed iOS as the largest smartphone OS on its network in December. Find the new SMART report here.