3-Alarm Wedding Fire: Sad, But Love Wins Over All

By: Aleyia Dixon - April 6, 2014

In one of the worst cases of Wedding Omens ever, flames burst through a Massachusetts building where a wedding couple just completed their vows, destroying it and forcing 150 guests to flee the scene.

Local news sources are keeping the names of the couple private, and for good reason– one, they don’t deserve the ridicule and two, their wedding symbolizes the end of a historic site that held hundreds of the town’s events since 1906.

The culprit of the crime was pretty much one of the worst things that could be the blame– a cigarette was tossed on the mulch and somehow ignited the three-alarm fire. Flames burst through the roof of the Lakeview Pavilion last night, and the couple is reportedly devastated about the incident.

The fire from that one cigarette escalated very quickly; Fire Chief Steven Bagley said, “The fire appeared to be spreading not only up the wall but through the ceilings and through a good part of the structure…it’s an old building with an old wooden frame.” There were also no sprinklers for the building and no nearby supply, but the fire department was able to use a nearby pond to remedy the issue. The building, unfortunately, is still up to be demolished after sustaining so much damage.

Man and Wife to-bes are now scrambling to find somewhere else to marry in very short periods; elaborate plans have to be suddenly changed since the building that was traditionally the first and sometimes only option for the town is now destroyed. While a sad case indeed, we are grateful that no injuries and casualties have marred the couple’s happiest day of their lives, despite the unfortunate incident. It is not clear who tossed the offending cigarette.

Image via Wikimedia Commons

About the Author

Aleyia DixonAleyia Dixon is a contributing writer to WebProNews.

View all posts by Aleyia Dixon
  • debbie graham

    gather all the known smokers and start questioning them…stupid smokers…use an ashtray or take your cigarette butt in the bathroom and run cold water over it until you are sure it is out and then put it in the trashcan. tossing cigarette butts is littering same as throwing fast food trash or soda cans on the ground. We have to start caring about Mother earth and not trashing her up!!

  • wintrykiss

    omg how horrible .. i hope nobody was hurt .. many years of happiness to the couple its unreal how a cigarette can destroy the building .. im sure whoever threw that on the mulch feels HORRIBLE :(

    • adarc

      I doubt they feel horrible enough to confess and pay up.
      They destroyed a family business and a historical landmark, and endangered the lives of family and friends, and ruined someone’s wedding. If they figure out who did it there will be lawsuits.

  • Pay attention!

    I was in a park once and found some smoldering mulch with a cigarette on it. I went to a nearby store for water and called the fire department. I couldn’t put the fire out with two buckets of water. I waited to show the firefighters where the fire was. They told me that mulch can smolder for a while and then suddenly catch fire. Then it spreads like mad. It happens a lot with cigarettes, they said. Why would anybody toss something that’s on fire onto wood?

    • adarc

      We had three mulch fires at the apartment building where I lived four 5 years. Some moron kept tossing his butts off his balcony. He didn’t even realize he was causing the fires because he only smoked out there at night, and the fire would takes hours to get going, and would erupt after this moron went to work.

  • allieapplesauce

    how can you tell that it was a cigarette that started it?